10 January 2014

Adoption Update

Not many things make me furious. I mean, it's easy to get me a little riled, but seeing-red-furious is reserved for a few things very close to my heart. 

Sometimes our adoption makes me steaming, foaming, seething, furious.

When organizations like UNICEF and the blasted UN essentially admit that they're anti-international adoption. I get furious. When groups in Africa have the gall to state that orphans are better off languishing in horribly underfunded orphanages instead of losing their nation's culture, my claws come out. You don't have to read too many posts about the majority of children in an orphanage dying from dysentery (which is much, much too common in the DRC and is caused by unclean water), before you can't help but be furious.

Who cares about these children? Is it only God? Is God the only one? Does any lawmaker or political person care about the welfare of these children, or if they even live to be an adult? Or reach the age of 5!

I believe wholeheartedly in seeking ethical means to adopt, but there are other ways to make your system more ethical than shutting down all international adoptions for longer than a year while you frustrate every claim of people who even meet your cutoff time. Especially when you have NO system to care for these children who will not be adopted while the suspension is in place.

We have no choice but to continue in the hope that the Congo will open up instead of shut completely down. These children have been abandoned by their government at every turn; these recent actions are no different. If we do not care for them, who will?

Right now I'm persevering without the light of hope in my heart. I spent a few days trying to figure out why our adoption is so draining, even though nothing is happening. It feels like waiting for a miscarriage I have good reason to think will certainly come but hasn't yet. Would you pray that God would place in me His heart of love? Love always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. I need more, I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment