07 May 2011

Cream of Chick/Mush Recipe?

So I'm working on a database of recipes so I can more easily meal plan (and avoid sending my husband to the store to get the one thing I forgot and that's holding up dinner).

I have quite a few recipes that call for cream of chicken or mushroom soups. I don't mind them, but I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for making something like them, or giving the consistency of them, that isn't pre-packaged. Does that make sense?

I'm thinking about trying a month of entirely non-processed food planning. We don't eat a ton of processed foods (except sweets, which I am surrendering to the Lord, sigh, moan, tear!). The cream of mush/chick is kind of the main thing holding me back at this point. And the thought of breadmaking... well, we may be eating a lot of paan instead of leavened breads. :) If Stephen absolutely revolts on that one, I'm willing to make an exception for the bread we buy, since it is healthier than paan.

I know I may come across as paranoid, and totally hypocritical (though I don't mean to be critical in the first place) since I love me some happy meals and Sonic drinks), but I do worry what the processing is doing to my insides, and I worry more about what food will be like when my son's 25...

4 comments:

  1. This is a quick way to sub those canned soups:
    http://www.cheapcooking.com/Recipes/homemade-cream-of-soup.htm

    But this one looks much tastier:
    http://www.laurengroveman.com/recipes/a-homemade-pantry/cream-of-soup-concentrate/

    I'm with you on avoiding processed foods when at all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth! These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I replaced canned soups some time ago, and it is much easier than you think. It probably adds 5-10 minutes to a recipe, but that's not bad at all. Here's a basic one that I follow:
    http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/homemade-cream-of-chicken-soup/

    (And that website has a TON of fresh, yummy recipes on there without a lot of processed foods.)
    I hope that helps! I love reading your blog and keeping up with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rachel! We're gonna try out two new recipes from them this week.

    ReplyDelete